Sunday, June 30, 2013

EDUC 6809 - Weekly Reading #6


This week we read:

Instant Messaging: A Literacy Event by Jennifer Carey at California State University - Northridge
After ten minutes I had given up and picked up the phone to continue the conversation in a way that I was comfortable. For me, the technology did not seem invisible, but rather a hurdle to my own means of authentic dialogue.
I picked this quote because it is completely opposite of how I felt the first time I Instant Messaged. It was with my best friend in college and I felt so free! I discovered through IM that I could talk to my friends without having to navigate awkward pauses, and I loved it!

 I have never been a phone person. In middle school the In-Thing was to get a phone in your room (bonus if you got your own line!). I asked for one and my parents obliged. I think I used it twice within the first few months... and only if a friend called me.  I wasn't very social as a teenager, and I wish that Facebook and IMing had existed then.... I might have gotten out more (with phones the primary method of making plans, I just didn't make any plans!).

It has taken me a long time to learn that written communication is just as valuable as phone communication. For a long time, as a professional, I would beat myself up because I would put off making phone calls. I would convince myself that the phone call was the only "proper" way of communicating and I felt like a failure because I always unable to properly, verbally convey my message to the recipient. Although it depends on who I wish to talk to, I have found email to be equally valued among my professional peers today and I'm glad for it.

I will say though, I worry that this is not the case among many K-12 teachers. Although each year it gets easier, I still find it somewhat intimidating to talk to my kids teachers (and especially the administrators). I find it it particularly difficult to communicate effectively with them on a regular basis because, my experience, is that teachers are not usually very communicative via email. I have never called the school to talk to my son's teachers because I am unsure of what to expect. I realize that I might be a unique case but I wish more teachers would seek out varying ways to communicate with their student's parents (and understand that a lot of parents are intimidated by the school system).

Okay, back to the task at hand. Here's my additional source this week: 

Tapping Instant Messaging

I choose this article because it gives some better specifics about ways Instant Messaging has been used in the classroom. It also give practical advice about what works and doesn't work.

1. How can instant messaging support reading and writing in school?
Reading and writing is at the center of instant messaging, because of its very nature it lends itself to instruction in school. I think I responded most to the idea of using IM as a mode of discussion about a subject and as an assessment tool. This form of online communication is a way for students to also practice online participation and social skills, while giving them new ways of engaging with the class. They will also be writing for purpose - which is to engage in conversation with their peer group, a purpose they readily understand.


2. How did your attitudes and beliefs about the value of instant message as a result of reading the research on Instant messaging as a literacy practice?
I have never thought about using IM in my classroom. I have used blogging and have thought about using forums, but IM is a different form of discussion all together. It is instant and requires quick, engaged responses. It makes me think about different ways I could expand the GED classes. We have the option of offering online studying, and several students are interested in it, but I've never figured out quite how to make it work effectively. IM could give the opportunity for me to assign work and have discussion at set times with students online... I know this is a bit off topic.... to get back on it: right now, writing is not a large part of the GED test. It's one essay (and a good organizational strategy will tackle it) and that's it. However, the new test starting in 2014 will require more short answers and writing in every subject area will become a focus. I could see IMing definitely helping on several fronts:

1.) simply writing practice

2.) Reading and response practice

3.) speed.... reading and responding immediately because being able to answer questions and move on quickly is a key component of the High School Equivalency test!

Sources:
Carey, J. (n.d.). Instant messaging: A literacy event. California State University Northridge.

6 comments:

  1. I used the same quote! I felt that it was easy for me to relate to. I remember my first time IMing and I thought it was amazing; however, it was a little scary. I just feel that it was much easier for people to talk through IMing because it was not face to face and people can be really shy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like talking on the phone. I'm better at communicating through text than verbally. At least with the written word, I'm able to re-read and edit it before sending. On the phone, everything comes out without editing the tone and delivery of the information. However, I've never been a fan of the phone since I've been little and when texting became popular, it made me very happy. However, being an adult has required me to be able to converse on the phone. I just don't prefer it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...I am also not a phone person. If I can't talk to someone in person, I would rather just text or email. I don't mind talking to friends and family on the phone, but if I have to call someone for a professional or business reason it makes me very nervous. I'm afraid that my message isn't coming across the way I want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Some kids need a less intimidating way to engage in class. I hate when you're speaking to a group and you know someone has something they could add, but they won't speak up. In this case, an educator could monitor some of the instant messaging and bring up talking points to make someone more comfortable in sharing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your point about how phone conversations just don't flow as well, I prefer in-person, but digital communication is great. I also agree with your point about teachers, I try to make it a point to answer any parent e-mails I get and I don't know how many of my peers do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also dislike talking on the phone! I prefer texting and IM because they provide me with the time I need to craft responses and more specific questions. I think these tools really do help improve our ability to express more clearly what we are thinking in writing! Expressing your thinking clearly in writing is GOOD writing!

    ReplyDelete