Sunday, June 2, 2013

EDUC 6809 - Weekly Reading #2

Explain how the Multigenre & Mulitmodal assignment related to each of the readings. 

We were given what was, essentially a writing prompt that allowed us to reflect on our understanding of three memorable texts. Research presented in Adolescent Literacy brief suggested this in the Shifting Literacy Focus section. It prompted us to find three texts that were (at least in my case) texts I consumed in an out of school setting.  We wrote statements about how the three texts effected us and what made them memorable. We wrote these while also adding images and quotes related to the text to further convey the influence of these texts on ourselves. This was a suggested activity in the Writing Outside of School brief and the Writing Now brief.

I also felt, for me, this assignment also allowed us to engage in "multiple identities." I felt like the three texts I choose allowed me to present myself in a "geekier" light than I normally would in an academic space. This is suggested in the Reading and Writing Differently brief.


We used technology to create our Multigenre & Multimodal textual lineage creations. We also had to manage multiple streams of information - by choosing texts that were from multiple genres. These concepts were presented in the Literacy Learning in the 21st Century brief.


Describe three ways the readings changed or reinforced your thinking about the role of digital technologies/media in teaching children to read and write.

  • Holistic Writing: 
The "process model" of writing is flexible: writing and rewriting happens at all stages of writing. I also responded to the idea of not separating writing and grammar instruction. Which I took to mean that the "rules of grammar" should be taught within context of audience, and not as individual instruction.

  • Multiple Identities:
This concept intrigued me because I think there is a lot of societal and work-attaining value to helping students understand that multiple identities are commonplace and make us three dimensional interesting people. Many of my students are not comfortable navigating between peer interactions and professional interactions, and I believe that this is because there is an over emphasis on "being fake." I instead enjoy thinking about myself (and others) as multi-dimensional. And, depending on the place (dare I say - audience), they can present themselves in different ways, while still being true to themselves.


  • Out of school Writing: 
I like the idea that writing activities engaged in outside of school should be legitimatized as writing, particularly those engage in by young people. I think this could help students writing within school because, right now, students groan when they talk about writing. I believe, teachers would find more engaged students if they designed discussions and activities that encouraged and accepted out of school type writing, such as fan fiction, text messaging, and projects that utilized social "chat" to explore in-school topics.

Find an example (i.e lesson plan or students work sample) of how other teachers are using digital technologies to support reading and writing in a content area like Math, Science, Social studies, Art, Music, Health, Family and Consumer Science

8 comments:

  1. I like your view point on being multi-dimensional. Being a math "geek" has been a long standing title with me; however, I'm also a business owner, author, friend, wife, and daughter too. All of these make up who I am, and I often interchange among them depending on who I'm interacting with. I can be whoever I chose to be. With all these slight variations of roles, I'm still me throughout them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! What kind of business do you own? I love the idea that there are so many parts to people, and I love it when I find out something new about someone I didn't know before. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your lesson plan where the students create a facebook page for a historical figure...so cool! Students would be so engaged in a project like that. I will definitely use this in the future! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you were right when you said multiple identities. We could show the sides of us that people normally do not know until they really get down deep with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your point of giving credit to more informal text, the most important thing here is that our students are writing. If they don't have something they want to write about, then the desire is gone. If we can capitalize on what they like and what they need to know, then everyone wins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found that humans tend to react differently in diverse environments. Instead of being the same person, it is like we all have different personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad this discussion centers on the concept of writing and identity. In particular, I think Vanessa makes an interesting observation about students feeling like they are asked to be "fake" when they engage in school-based writing.

    I think this also related to the language variety widely known as Appalachian English spoken by many people in West Virginia.
    Although many people who speak Appalachian English say they are proud of their cultural heritage, they are aware of the stigma surrounding their home speech or "speech of comfort.

    Further, mainstream America's intolerance of language varieties extends to the classroom, where Appalachian English is pitted against Standard English. The classroom creates a dichotomy of good and bad, poor and proper, and correct and incorrect with home voices always falling short of the standard.

    This dichotomy can create a identity crisis in students who speak non-standard language varieties. Students may feel as if they are being forced to choose between the language of their homes and communities and the language of schooling. This can contribute to their disengagement from not only writing but schooling.

    As educators, we need to not only acknowledge the informal writing children engage in outside of school as legitimate forms of writing, but also legitimize the languages they use in their homes so that the learning how to do academic writing is not a denial of who they are, but as Vanessa wisely stated, just a new dimension of who they are as human beings.



    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that even when my students "know" the rules of grammar, they often don't apply it to their writing. I believe teaching in context, or holistically, is a more effective method, at least for my second graders. :) Nice write-up. :)

    ReplyDelete