Saturday, July 6, 2013

EDUC 6816 - Weekly Reading #7



Master and Student?
Master and Student by Christopher Walker

CC BY-NC-SA 3.0




This post is in response to the research paper: Engaging young learners: The multi-faceted and changeable nature of student engagement in technology-rich learning projects

A quote:
"The project reported here demonstrates that students may be behaviourally, cognitively and emotionally engaged when undertaking technology-rich projects, but that high levels of engagement aren’t necessarily guaranteed by simply infusing technology." (Adlington & Harvey, 2010)


This quote caught my eye because I think it pertains a lot to my situation. I work with adult students, many who don't have a lot of technology skills and frequently complain about using the computers - "I hate computers" is a semi-common refrain in my classroom! I definitely find that simply using technology is not enough to keep my student's engaged and learning. In some ways this is an important, everyday reminder to me that each student is unique and I must allow for multiple approaches to my lessons. But, this is where the diverse nature of technology is so, so helpful.

My challenge is keep students engaged in the project despite the computers. I think this is where having a non-computer technology (like audio recording or photography) is important.

Addtional Resource:


What journalists need to know about interviewing for video

This is some a link to some tips for interviewing on video. I think any teacher who wants to use video in their project should include a lesson plan on how to interview someone.... it is an art to itself. Taking the time and emphasizing good quality to students (especially older ones) is important because they need to feel the final product is going to be "good" in order to truly engage with the process.

The Questions:


1. How might your citizen journalism project resemble a technology rich project?
I plan to use audio interviews and editing an audio piece for local broadcast to infuse my citizen journalism project with technology. In addition, I plan to implement a blog in order to engage my students with a technology-influenced, self-reflective element while collecting the research.

2. What did you learn about sucessfull implementation of technology rich projects?
I found myself really surprised by this quote:
"The classroom teacher reflected at the end of the project that she anticipated that students would be most cognitively engaged during the planning process, and that the interviewing and filming process would prove less engaging." (Adlington & Harvey, 2010)

So, I think one thing I learned was how out of touch teachers can be with the power of non-traditional literacies. I wrote in my side notes when I read this - WOW! How out of touch this teacher is. Clearly she's never made a movie project herself.

I have a lot of experience with documentary video making. My favorite part is the editing. I am always most engaged in that process (even though I find it to be the most tedious). I go into any project with a written plan, but I know the process will affect the outcome of the piece. I often find the editing-stage to be when I truly craft the story (the emotional engagement). It is when I put all the pieces together in a logical plan (the cognitive engagement). It is also the most technologically-challenging part and this also leads to more cognitive engagement (and sometimes a lot of walk-away from the computer frustration!).

I'm not sure any of this research came as a surprise to me - but it was nice to see some hard numbers to back up what I already experienced to be true.

Resources:

Adlington, R., & Harvey, H. (2010). Engaging young learners: The multi - faceted and changeable nature of student engagement in technology - rich learning projects. acec2010: digital diversity conference, Melbourne, Australia. Retrieved from http://acec2010.acce.edu.au/sites/acec2010.info/files/proposal/172/acec2010engagingyounglearners.pdf

5 comments:

  1. I was surprised by the teacher reflection as well. That teacher must have never done an action research involving technology or something different than the traditional methods of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose the same quote as you because it is so true! You can't just set a laptop or iPad down in front of students and call that incorporating technology. The lessons need to be relevant and engaging for the students. It takes some careful planning from the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost chose that same quote. It is so true. Abby is right, it takes so much planning for a great lesson like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your comment about keeping them engaged "despite" the computers. Computers and a technology rich environment are becoming a part of everyday life, but there will always be those who are less comfortable with technology than their peers. As we strive to develop information literacy skills in the next generation we also need to keep in mind that they need to have a strong grasp of basic literacy skills as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Vanessa raised an important point that technology does not always mean the computer. Using camera's and recording devices can provide students with technology rich experiences too! However, editing on the computer rather than with analogue technology reduces some time consuming tasks and I think helps student engage more deeply in reflective learning process as student edit digital video.

    ReplyDelete