Saturday, July 20, 2013

EDUC 6809 - Weekly Reading #9

This is written in response to Responding & Assessing by Sonya C. Borton & Brian Huot

Quote:

"Similarly, an important assessment criteria for a multimodal text might be whether a student has taken advantage of the specific affordances, or capabilities, of each modality." (Borton & Huot)
Seal of the United States Senate
Official seal of the
U.S. Senate
I am really trying to take advantage of the visual image in the learning adventure example I'm creating this week. I don't know if I'll use this in my project, but here's a story for you:

I get easily distracted when I research.... I tend to ask myself lots of questions and follow those answers even when I know it won't be useful to my project. This happened while I was trying to find the seal of each house of Congress.

Alternative Senate seal
Alternative seal of the
U.S. Senate
I kept finding "alternative seals" and not the "official" seal - which seemed weird to me. It turns out the Senate uses their "official" seal only rarely - mostly to ratify treaties and on impeachment papers! As a result, an "alternative seal" was created for common use. The same is true for the House of Representatives, except I couldn't find a visual for the "official" seal. According to Wikipedia "The official seal depicts the House side of the Capitol building, but is not used as a visual symbol." Fascinating!


Questions

1. What should the assessments of multimodal text provide for students?
An expectation of what a multimodal text should include and a framework for understanding the rhetorical nature of the final product. Multimodal texts are even more important to have an assessment for (than traditional texts) because students and teachers have less experience in "authoring, designing and thinking rhetorically about multimodal texts."

2. What are the benefits to using formative assessment when asking students to compose multimodal texts?
Creating a formal assessment becomes part of the learning experience. Learning to create a formal assessment (via a rubric or other form) of their own work (and the work of others) helps students make decisions about the effectiveness of their own texts. It emphasizes the process of creating the text vs. just getting the project done. It provides the students with a greater understanding of what the process is and what goes into the creation of it.

3.How do you feel about collaboratively constructing rubrics or assessment criteria with students?
I think this is a great way to reinforce key concepts and to put the responsibility of learning onto the student. I have had success with creating assessment criteria in the past - although I've never called it such (I don't give grades so the language is different). For example, we do a "Career Awareness" activity in the first few days of my SPOKES class. Part of the activity is creating a powerpoint about a chosen career.  I show a sample one and then we make a list of what criteria/research is needed to complete the project. I have, however, never included an image or sound criteria list but I see that it is needed. Looking back (especially after reading this article) I can understand now why some students just created a "word" powerpoint and I always had to encourage them to go and add photos and transitions. The problem was that I didn't emphasize that part of the criteria. That's going to change moving forward.

Additional Resource

Creating Rubrics Through Negotiable Contracting and Assessment

This is an article with both practical advice and real world examples of teachers finding success in putting student-created rubrics to work in the classroom.

Sources
Borton, S & Huot, B; Responding and assessing, Multimodal composition: Resources for teachers, 99-111, 2007.

9 comments:

  1. It was very interesting to read about the alternative seals used for the Senate and the House of Representatives. Do you think it is their way of trying to reduce counterfeit usage of their seals? Very interesting!

    Thank you for including the article, "Creating Rubrics Through Negotiable Contracting and Assessment." I think it will be a great resource for me to use as I attempt student-created rubrics for the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about the seals, one would just expect them to have one- curious. Also, I agree with your ideas about formative assessments. They are so very important, I try to have all of my students evaluating their performance regularly.

    Thanks for the tip on Edmodo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's surprising about the different seals used in the Senate. I don't understand why they would use an "alternative" seal when they have an official seal. It seems redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also impressed that you were able to reflect on your assessments and improve upon them for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea about the seals either. I also get distracted while I am researching. I tend to do other things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like the idea of collaborating on assessment and agree with your statement, "I think this is a great way to reinforce key concepts and to put the responsibility of learning onto the student."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanessa, Your discovery about the seals is a good example of the kinds of information searching behaviors we need student to develop!

    I bookmarked your Rubric and negotiation article for the undergraduate course I teach! This is a great way to create an learning environment to promotes intentional learning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great resource on creating student centered rubrics. I love the quote about students viewing assessment as an opportunity for growth instead of a judgment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your search for the seal is a perfect example of what I can worry about. I mean, I am often pulled down a useless path while searching for information online. I think, if we're tapping into multimodal, online sources for students to use, we need to also come up with ways for them not to be distracted by the limitless information available to them. Is there a class on that? I think I could use it. I'm nosy by nature, and it's so difficult not to stray.

    ReplyDelete