Saturday, February 2, 2013

Your Brain on Video Games Response

3 things I learned:
  • Average age of gamer is 33
  • Vision in gamers is better than the average person
  • Media multi-taskers are terrible at multi-tasking tests in the lab.

2 things I agree or disagree with.
  • I agree (and really like) the analogy between gaming and wine. I thought it was the clearest explanation of how something could be good for you that is also questionable. I'm also taken by the analogy because I am still skeptical of the wine benefits - but I choose to believe it because I'm a strong believer in moderation (and I like wine). Its relaxing, which is the same way I understand video games are for others.
  • I am often guilty of media multi-tasking myself, and I am definitely surprised by the results they have found about multi-tasking because it seems so counter intuitive. However, I wouldn't disagree with the results because for one, they replicated an initial study and found the same results, and two, I often feel that I have gotten worse at multi-tasking than I was 10 years ago. I have started to blame my age as the reason for this, but I am now interested in knowing more because I wonder if its due to my media multi-tasking. That gives me some hope that I can do something about this, because I used to be really proud of being able to multi-task!
 
1 question I have:
  • What are the studies that show how different video games have different effects on the brain - have they been done yet? I'd be interested in learning more on that front.

No comments:

Post a Comment