Wednesday, May 22, 2013

EDUC 6816 - Introductory Post


Where you are from and what do you do:

Hello! I'm Vanessa.... I live in Pocahontas County, but I'm originally from the outskirts of Cleveland, Ohio.  I am an Adult Basic Education/SPOKES Instructor in Pocahontas County.  I help people earn their GED, and I teach SPOKES, which is a 10 week academic and job readiness class

I also teach the occasional evening workshop for all ages in digital media. Right now, I'm teaching middle school students' digital storytelling using the poem Where I'm From as a model. (Two more weeks to go - Those kids are exhilarating/exhausting!! Hats off to any middle school teachers out there!).

I teach a little bit of everything, and really love it! Its quite perfect for me because I'm interested in so many things - this job allows me to pass my curiosity and passion for life-long learning onto my students! 

What do I want to get out of this class:

I am hoping to get more clarity in distinguishing between new literacy, digital literacy and information literacy. They are all related in a way but I still use them interchangeably.  I'm seeking clarity on the nuances of these terms.

I'm also interested in discovering new resources and creating instructional materials to help with my classes.  And, as always, to just learn more about the (digital) world around me!

What do you think this video has to do with information literacy?

This was  a fascinating video that made a great case for how Web 2.0 differs from its earlier version. I think that it has to do with information literacy because its about how and why information on the web is created and disseminated: For us, and by us - it is US - the collective citizenry of the world (or at least, the lucky, first world US that owns and knows how to use a computer). Its about the revolution of information, which is - because of the capabilities of Web 2.0 -  able to be created by a large expanse of everyday people and not controlled/created by a small group of powerful people.


How do you define Information Literacy? Link to a online resource that supports your definition.


Information literacy is about learning when more information is needed, how to find digital information, determine it's relevance and use that information to create something.

Here's an "official" definition.







8 comments:

  1. I agree, I also want to learn as much as I can about the digital world, and be able to integrate that into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Vanessa!

    Looking forward to another exciting class and your wonderful take and interpretation of our readings.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said in my last comment - you are very busy! It seems as if you are very happy with it all, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed by all that you do. I think it would be fun to teach a SPOKES class. I've never heard of it until now. It must be a very rewarding job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your explanation of how the video is related to the need for Information Literacy.

    Power always belongs to the people who know how the technology works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SPOKES sounds like a very interesting teaching job. I teach high school Business, which is much of the same career readiness content. I was a substitute for a while and I agree with you about both middle and elementary school being exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again! I've always enjoyed reading your posts. SPOKES and Adult Basic Ed sounds interesting. As an Adult Ed teacher, do you find that most of your students want to be there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends on the student and the program.... 98% of my SPOKES students are mandated to be there as the work requirement to receive public assistance (most are welfare recipients). They don't want to be there at first, but usually they find its not as bad as they thought and enjoy it... although its different for each individual.

      Most of the GED students want to be there, I have a few that are mandated by the court system, but even then they want to be there. So, yes, the motivations are different.

      Delete