Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Game Design and Learning Introduction

Hello! My name is Vanessa and I live in Pocahontas County, WV.  I am an Adult Basic Education Instructor, I teach a job readiness class called SPOKES and GED classes. I really enjoy working with adults, but I also enjoy working with young people. I have led youth media workshops, focusing on video documentaries, and plan to continue doing so as I continue my education.
  
I have been interested in games as a learning tool for a long time now, and see it as especially relevant in my GED classes. Although there is a lot of resources out there for this purpose, I am a very creative person and really want to be able to give game design a shot....  I hope to get out of this class the framework for good game design and the opportunity to create one.
 
I would be a Gamer if I had the time. l love board games, and tend to play those more than anything because they are party games that I do socially. I like puzzles and trivia games. I also like to play Words With Friends and other word games on my ipod. I play games that activate my mind in challenging ways. I'm also a friendly, but uber-competitive person, so games allow me to tickle that side of my personality too. I'm interested in video games because they seem to be "immersive experiences" that I suspect would appeal to me the same way movies do. I haven't, however, had a chance to really experience these types of video games because I am turned off by the over-emphasis on violence, and as a result haven't been exposed to games that might appeal to me. I can also be pretty obsessive when it comes to these kind of things, so I am hesitant to invest the time (and money) into something that may take over my (already limited) free-time.... so it might be for the better :)
    
 I am conflicted about kids and video games. I am a believer in embracing technology and helping to mold how it effects our society, but I am also cautious. My son is 8 years old and he loves computer games. I try to steer him to educational games, but inevitably he wants to play the games that are more fun and pretty redundant. He can get pretty obsessed by them and if we don't keep a close check on the time he spends on the computer, he would turn pale from the lack of sunshine. I keep a very close eye on his exposure to violence, for one, he is a pretty sensitive kid and just doesn't handle that well, but I also don't want him to be so inudated with those images that he becomes insensitive to it. I am worried about the day when he wants to get a Playstation or some game system because I fear the only video games available have some violent element to them. Where are all the dramas!?

This article about how video games effect kids from the LA times cites research that calls into question the link between aggression in young people and violent video games.
 
Three world events that happened the year I was born? Strange question - Why do you ask
 I was born in 1979 the same year that:
 
1.) The Iran Hostage Crisis began.
2.) The Three Mile Island nuclear accident happened.
3.) Pac-Man was released.
 
Looking forward to the class! 
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. I have the same thoughts as you. Too many of the popular video games contain too much violence which makes me instantly lose interest - and these are the games that are students are playing in their spare time.

    As far as the games on the gaming systems - I agree the violent ones are of no purpose or educational value to me either. I found a video which I posted in my blog. In the video James spoke of how games that appear to have no educational value truly create complex problems that cause gamers to use complex thinking on a scholarly level to solve the problems and further study the game.

    From your posted article I can conclude that you are very concerned with the issue of violence in video games and how that affects the developing person.

    I was not born in the year that you were. I was born 9 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again -

    "Research shows...." I have often felt that if you don't agree with the results of a research project, just wait, someone will contradict it or manipulate the numbers. I think this articles touches on that, both sides can justify their position "with research." Unfortunately there is no easy answer to the question of violence in video games affecting youth.

    Iran Hostage Crisis saw the return of the Yellow Ribbon which had first been popularized in the early 70s with "Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the Old Oak Tree...." which ironically was a man returning from Prison. Colored ribbons became a standard for showing support of a cause in the ensuing years.

    My cousin was called in to help repair the 3 mile Island issue. Yep, he was (and still is) a nuclear physicist. Currently working at San Dias National Laboratories. One smart cookie (whose daughter and son-in-law are serious gamers!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa, I also am conflicted, because I want to embrace technology in the classroom, but I don't want it to be meaningless. I have observed that the games that students are drawn to are the ones that really don't provide much educational benefit. I am hoping, through this class, to be able to find/design games that will be useful in the classroom.

    I wasn't born until six years later, so I don't remember those events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked the questions because I think it is a good conversation starter between people who don't know each other that well! :)

    I don't like video games that are violent in terms of being criminal and misogynistic. I'm O.K with violence in terms of fantasy like WOW. There is some research that shows it can even be therapeutic! I'm a little skeptical about that one.

    The research is pretty clear that there is not a link between violence in the real world and violence in video games.

    But I think the combination of mental illness, violent video games, and access to guns is a lethal combination.

    However, this class does not necessarily advocate for the use of video game. It's about designing learning environments that possess the characteristics of video games to make learning more engaging in school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share your thoughts on the amount of violence in video games. My father is a huge gun collector. Growing up, we were taught how dangerous guns were and to be respectful around them. I shot my first gun when I was 4 and got my first gun at 8. However, the respect for firearms was of the utmost importance. We weren't allowed to have toy guns or even pretend shoot at something with our fingers. I think this education and respect is missing today.

    In 1979, I was four. I remember hearing about this things growing up, but don't remember them first-hand. I played lots of PacMan in the 80's though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share your position on gaming. I want to embrace it, but am very cautious.

    I was -10 in 1979;), but who doesn't love pacman! Looking forward to another class with you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanessa,

    I have to babysit my nephews often and I feel your pain over video games. I have tried to help my sister by picking out games myself that I know are not violent for my nephews. The SimCity line of games, railroad games and building games in general have a better theme than violent games.

    I was just 3 when you were born so I don't remember much of anything from 1979. I did see the movie Argo this past year that was based upon the Iranian hostage crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that there needs to be a limit to kids exposure to violence and the use of video games. Kids need to be outside getting dirty and experiencing life--not the simulation of life.

    I love the old arcade games like Pac-Man. Three Mile Island is a huge historical event. That's cool that you have these events in the same year you were born.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings Vanessa!
    It seems we are on the same page with video games and children. I have mixed feelings also. I too feel technology is important and should be embraced. Educational video games can be very useful and teach children important life or educational skills. I wonder if educational games were made more fun if children would want to play them more. I can see how your son can get sucked into the game and completely lose track of time. It is good that you keep a close eye on your son because I feel many people don’t do this as well as they should. It is very easy to get on a website you didn’t mean to so supervision is very important. At least when your son gets a PlayStation you will be the one buying the games. Until he can go out on his own.
    I would have to say I was not born for any of your life events. However I have enjoyed playing Pac-Man many times!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vanessa, I agree with you and most everyone else in this class about the good and bad of video games, and how children should not get an overdose of certain addictive and unproductive games, and play in moderation. Parents should have control their children's video game time to make them more well-rounded. I have a connection to Pacman, because it was one of the only games I had for our Atari as a child, and I have been to the town where the 3-mile meltdown happened because I have 2 friends from college who lived right by the power plant. That was a pretty scary event too!

    ReplyDelete